Thursday, October 16, 2008

The last of Indian Summer?


Yesterday was just gorgeous, and I found some time to take a walk and get some pictures to update our website and sales list. I'm so glad I did, as today is gloomy and raining! No way am I complaining, as we are in a severe drought and every drop is welcome. We will be resuming breedings next week; it's been too hot to breed in 85 degree weather with half-grown fleeces, and we avoid having late-summer crias due to issues with prematurity and other potential problems.


This group of our show females (top) welcomed me. Jitterbug has become a real leader of the herd. I hope she walks better at the show this weekend in Virginia than at Indiana, as her "field presence" is unbeatable.
Big Brown is really growing up nicely. I was heartbroken that his thoroughbred namesake and 2008 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner won't be racing again (in the much-anticipated Breeder's Cup Classic) after a hoof injury this week, but at least he's got a good prognosis for recovery. He'll be standing stud at Three Chimneys Farm, about 15 minutes from here- I'd love to meet him "in person" someday!
Above are some of our young weanlings (right to left- Gallantry, Big Grown, Einstein and Bounce, rear). Despite more males than females, we are having wonderful crias this year!
I have had a lot of recent interest in pet/fiber quality males. We're nearly out, but here's one that will soon be weaned and available. He needs a name, any ideas?



No comments: