Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Someone Stop Me!

I just can't seem to stop putting my hands into silky-soft fiber! I'm busy getting ready for the 1st Annual Kentucky Sheep and Fiber Festival which is this weekend and plan to offer our best in dyed rovings, yarn, and finished products.Although I should be taking the time to get myself better organized, I just can't resist doing more dyeing and making things! I recently took some of our finest fleeces to get processed, and these are some that I'll be offering in both dyed and natural colors. Although I wanted to spin up every lot that I dyed (leaving none to sell!), I did indulge myself in spinning and knitting a sample swatch... ahem... JUST so that others could determine what they'd look like!What? You're not familiar with a fiber festival? I can still remember my first, Fiber Fest in Kalamazoo, Michigan, and it must have been about 15 years ago. I took a spinning class, and dropped off llama and alpaca fiber and wool with Ohio Valley Natural Fibers to be processed into roving. That festival introduced me to the variety and wonder of working with fiber, and I went on to make spinning, knitting, dyeing a hobby and breeding top quality alpacas became my full-time job after a few years.

At the 1st Annual Kentucky Sheep and Fiber Festival, you'll see over 6o vendors. Some of us will have livestock (come meet Jasper and Midas, two alpacas that are for sale and Phoenix, our friendliest pack llama). There will be several breeds of sheep, and angora goats (which produce mohair), and angora rabbits (which produce angora) and who knows what else! There will be TONS of yarn and spinning wheels and FIBER for sale (including many pounds of roving that I have been dyeing!).In addition, there will be local FOOD and wine available for sale. AND, if that's not enough, the Bluegrass Classic Sheepdog Trial will be taking place, too. All of this is happening at Masterson Station Park in Lexington from 9 to 5 on Saturday, May the 15th and Sunday, May the 16th, there are some fiber arts classes available on the 14th, too.

I am very excited as well as appreciative of the people who stepped up to make this happen- local fiber, local food, fiber animals, a festival atmosphere, and the opportunity to meet others and sell my wares from the farm.... I hope to see you there!

No comments: